Gift of Life Michigan works closely with colleges and universities to promote organ, tissue and eye donation. Campaigns can occur any time of the year, but our biggest donor drive is the Gift of Life Michigan Campus Challenge.
What is the Campus Challenge?
The Gift of Life Michigan Campus Challenge provides an opportunity to give school rivalries and competitive spirit a new purpose by saving and healing lives. The Campus Challenge program is simple, easy and free. In the past 14 years, college students across the state have inspired more than 40,000 people to join the Michigan Organ Donor Registry.
- During the five-week Gift of Life Michigan Campus Challenge, colleges and universities compete to see which school can sign up the most people to donate life.
- Students, faculty and staff participate in the Campus Challenge through campus events, social media posts, newsletter articles, and at donor registry sign-up stations in student unions and athletic events.
- Digital and physical resources are provided to each participating school, along with a supply of giveaway items for tabling events.
- Each school receives a unique link to the donor registry, and your school receives a point every time someone uses that link to sign up as an organ donor. Scores are shown in real time on Gift of Life Michigan’s website.
At the end of the Campus Challenge, trophies will be awarded to the top three schools -- the school that recruits the most new donors, the school that signs up the most new donors compared to its student population, and the school that earns the most activity points.
- Every 10 minutes someone is added to the national transplant waiting list.
- 22 patients die each day because not enough organs are available.
- Joining the Campus Challenge gives hope to more than 3,100 Michigan patients currently waiting for an organ transplant.
- The Campus Challenge also provides leadership experience and resume building opportunities for students, and a positive community service for the whole school to rally around.
- Joining the Campus Challenge is free and easy.
- Gift of Life Michigan provides cool giveaways, posters, social media shareables, a press release, sample talking points, and everything else you need for running a campus challenge at your school.
- Our staff can even provide short training sessions on the organ donation process to inspire and educate your campus supporters!
Learn more about the Campus Challenge in the 2019 Campus Challenge Recruitment Brochure.
Download the Campus Challenge app for Android and iOS today!
Why do organ donor registration drives matter?
How do I join the Campus Challenge?
If you would like to join the Campus Challenge, you can register here.
What if I missed the Campus Challenge?
The Campus Challenge takes place in January and February, and schools can register to join before or during the event -- although registering in the beginning will give you more time to sign up students and work on winning that trophy!
If you missed the Campus Challenge, you can still hold an organ donor registration drive. Contact Jennifer Tislerics at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.